From ‘A’ - for air conditioners - to ‘Z’ - for zip lock bags - use our A to Z guide to work out where you can recycle or how you can reuse a whole heap of different things.

The items listed below can be recycled but not in your kerbside recycling bins. Find out how you can recycle or reuse these items in the guide below.

Check our bin guide for items that can be recycled in your kerbside bins. However, remember it is always a better option for your items to be used by someone else. Recycling still uses precious resources.

Aerosol cans

Suitable for recycling in the yellow lidded bin. Make sure the cans are completely empty and intact so they don’t pose a safety risk for collectors.  No need to remove the plastic spray nozzle.

If not empty they can be disposed of at the next Chemical CleanOut.

Air conditioners

These can be dropped off at Kimbriki free of charge. The unit must be de-gassed first.

Aluminium foil

Collect and roll into a ball about the size of a tennis ball to ensure it is recovered for recycling.


If you have used tennis and other sports balls that are worn or dirty but still intact and functional, Monika’s Doggie Rescue at Ingleside will happily accept them. Contact first 9486 3133.

Baths, bathroom sinks, vanities

You can drop off metal or cast iron baths and sinks at Kimbriki for recycling.  Alternatively donate baths, sinks vanities to a second-hand building materials supplier or give away online

Bean Bags

Small fragments or beads of polystyrene/styrofoam, should be contained and placed in the red lidded bin. If it is bean bag beads, put them in a strong plastic bag, expel the air, seal and place in the red lidded bin.

The empty bean bag can go in the red lidded bin or put out on a bulky goods collection. If it bag is a textile material rather than plastic it can also be taken to H&M or Zara for recycling where you get a purchase discount voucher as a thank you in the store for diverting this recyclable item from landfill.


If you have bike in good working condition you can donate it to BIKES4LIFE who restore and donate to individuals in marginalised communities who use the bikes as a mode of sustainable transport. Please deliver to the designated drop-off zone at Kimbriki Resource Recovery Centre. If possible, please view how to prepare the bike before delivering. If you are unsure if your bike is suitable send a photo to

Children’s bikes can be donated to Peninsula Seniors Toy Recyclers. The bikes are repaired and donated to charities.  Drop off is at Kimbriki Resource Recovery Centre near the administrative building.


Donate your blankets and towels to Animal Welfare League, animal shelters or vets. Check with them about sheets, bathroom rugs and t-shirts too.

Local charities may take blankets if they are in good condition.

Blanket Patrol Northern Beaches accept contributions of new or good condition blankets (and sleeping bags)


Lifeline Northern Beaches accepts good quality book donations. Small donations can be dropped at a lifeline retail store. A number of other charities also accept book donations. Givenow keeps a list of some of these organisations. Alternatively you could swap your books with others using book swap sites such as Book Mooch. You could also set up a second-hand book exchange between friends, at your child's school or another community group. As a last resort you can recycle unusable books in the blue lidded paper recycling bin.

Building materials

Do you have unwanted leftover or second hand building materials from a renovation? You could sell or give them away through a number of avenues. Alternatively the Bower in Marrickville may accept small amounts of building materials that you no longer want, call 9568 6280 to see if they can take your donation.

Business waste

The National Business Recycling Directory contains information about recycling and waste disposal services for Australian small to medium-sized businesses.


Cameras can be recycled for free at Spectrum Camera House at Brookvale, 9907 1955.


Large sheets of cardboard and packaging (eg fridge boxes) can be cut up and placed in your blue bin.

Staples can be left in cardboard boxes.

Alternatively they may be taken to Kimbriki

Businesses may prefer to use local services such as Cleanaway or Cozens 


Video and audio cassettes cannot be recycled and need to be place in the red lidded garbage bin.  For VCR and DVD players please see Electrical goods

CDs and DVDs

You can donate your CDs and DVDs to Lifeline Northern Beaches.

You can also take them to the Community Recycling Centre at 8 Waltham Street, Artarmon for free.

The cases can’t be recycled in your domestic recycling bin so best to leave them in their cases when donating to taking them to the Community Recycling Centre.


NSW Environment Protection Authority runs free chemical collection days at various sites throughout the year. The collection accepts all household chemicals. For more information call Environment Line on 131 555 or visit Household Chemical CleanOut.

Christmas Trees

Council will collect your Christmas tree if it is contained within your vegetation bin and the lid closed flat.

If you prefer not to cut the tree so that it fits in your vegetation bin, you can drop it off for free at the Kimbriki Resource Recovery Centre Kimbriki Rd, Ingleside.

Cloth nappies

Wondering what to do with your cloth nappies you no longer need?  Check out The Australian Nappy Association for a number of options.


Do you have clothing in good condition? Keep it out of landfill by donating your unwanted clothes to a local charity. The National Association of Charitable Recycling Organisations (NACRO) has a list of charities who may accept your donation. 

There are also specialist charities seeking particular items. Dress for Success and Fitted for Work accept high quality work wear to provide disadvantaged women with outfits for job interviews. The Uplift Project accepts new or second hand bras in good condition which are provided to disadvantaged women.

H&M have garment collection boxes in all stores. Drop a bag of your unwanted clothing, any brand, any condition, in their recycling box. The textiles are then sent to the nearest recycling plant. For every bag of textiles you drop off, you’ll receive a discount card for 15% off your next in-store purchase.

Depending on the item, you could also give away or sell clothing on online sites, garage sale or organise a clothes swap.

Consignment clothing retailers will sell good quality clothes for you for a small commission. Search the internet to find one near you. 


Computer equipment will NOT be accepted as part of your bulky goods clean up. Find out more about eWaste and where to recycle your computers and TVs in the Northern Beaches.

The National Television and Computer Recycling Scheme provides Australian households and small businesses with access to free recycling services for TVs, computers and computer equipment. The scheme does not accept other types of electronic waste such as DVD and VCR players.

Contact lenses and cases

TerraCycle can help to find the nearest drop-off location. Type in your postcode and then the waste you are wishing to recycle from the drop down menu.


Corks are no longer recycled in Australia due to the resins in our cork.

You can use them for craft, as garden mulch or place in your compost bin. 

Reverse Garbage accepts them for reuse - call 02 9569 3132 or email if you have a large quantity.

Electrical goods

Small electrical appliances are accepted free of charge at Kimbriki if it is more than 80% metal. If less than 80% it will be accepted as mixed waste and charges will apply. 

To recycle electronic goods such as landline phones, fax machines, VCR and DVD players, electronic toys and games, purchase an e-waste collection box for $3.50 at your nearest Storage King. Fill it with unwanted consumer electronic goods and bring it back to Storage King. Aside from purchasing the box, there are no other charges to get your items recycled. Please note that only products that fit within the box will be accepted for recycling. The box dimensions are as follows: 44cm (height), 41cm (length), 30cm (width). This scheme also accepts mobile phones, their batteries and accessories as well as computers and their accessories. Check at ecoactive for what will be accepted.

Essentials for those in need

Care Essentials accept donations of toiletries, wool, beanies, scarves, socks, clothes in season and gloves. North Balgowlah drop-off.

Blanket Patrol Northern Beaches accept blankets & sleeping bags (new or in good condition) to distribute to the homeless and the needy. They also accept toiletries, single use hotel/airline items, in season men’s and women’s clothing in good condition.


Fencing timber, palings, treated pine, pallets, decking

These can be taken to Kimbriki Resource Recovery Centre.

Raw timber - Kimbriki will accept it as vegetation

Treated timber - If the timber has been treated, oiled, stained, lacquered, painted or timber/pine has been permeated with a chemical solution accepted as mixed waste (fee applies)

For any fencing not recyclable at Kimbriki, ie accepted as vegetation, up to 12 fence palings can be added to your bulky goods collection.

Note - nails do not need to be removed but nuts and bolts should be removed.

Fire Extinguishers

Fire Extinguishers are accepted at Household Chemical Cleanouts (held a couple of times a year on the Northern Beaches)

Flares - distress signals from boats

Flares contain explosive matter which makes safe and legal disposal difficult.  The safe disposal of out-of-date flares is essential to avoid any injury from unintended or deliberate ignition in a non-emergency situation. 

The NSW Transport Roads & Maritime Services maintains a collection program to help boaters dispose of expired marine flares, with mobile collections set up across NSW. The next program runs from 16 November 2019 to 13 January 2020. 

Note - Most flares have a use-by date of three years and penalties apply if they are not replaced before they expire. 


Compost bins, worm farms and chickens are great ways to reduce your food waste. Kimbriki conducts workshops on setting up worm farm and compost bins, call 9486 3512. Northern Beaches residents who attend receive a voucher towards the purchase of a compost bin or worm farm (terms and conditions apply). Composting and worm farming is a great alternative to disposing of your food waste in the rubbish bin while creating quality fertiliser for your pot plants and garden. Food waste once in landfill produces greenhouse gases. Visit Love Food Hate Waste.

No room for a compost bin or worm farm? Check with your local community gardens to see if they will take your food waste and turn it into quality compost.

Fridges and freezers

Whitegoods can be taken to Kimbriki free of charge. Items must be degassed first, proof of degassing no charge otherwise $25 fee if not degassed.

Alternatively leave them in a separate pile with other metal goods when you book your next bulky goods clean up and it will be recycled. Please make sure fridge and freezer doors are unhinged for safety.

Harvey Norman at Balgowlah will take white goods such as fridges, washing machines for recycling, only upon purchase and delivery of new goods.


Do you have unwanted furniture that is in good condition? Consider donating unwanted furniture to a local charity. The National Association of Charitable Recycling Organisations (NACRO) has a list of charities who may accept your donation. Don't forget you can also sell or give away unwanted furniture. List item on an online sales website or pass on furniture via a car boot sale, garage sale, telling friends and neighbours, placing an ad in the paper, putting up posters on a community noticeboard or at work.

IKEA is piloting a furniture buy back program. If you don’t want your IKEA products anymore and they are still in good condition, obtain an estimate of your furniture’s buy-back value online. Then take your assembled IKEA furniture, together with your estimate, to your preferred IKEA store, where they will assess the furniture in person, then give you the final agreed value as an IKEA refund card.

Check out The Generous and The Grateful, who use your old furniture to help rebuild lives.

Gas cylinders

Pressurised gas cylinders cannot be disposed of in garbage trucks or at landfills as they are dangerous when compacted. Cylinders can be refilled many times. Check your local petrol station as many of them have a swap service where you take your empty cylinder for a filled one. You can also take cylinders to SUEZ Australia contact first for terms and conditions on 1300 651 116. Domestic gas bottles and fire extinguishers are accepted by Household Chemical CleanOut.

Diving tanks should be returned to the manufacturer via dive centre.


Drop off for recycling at Kimbriki Resource Recovery Centre. If guttering is in good condition, donate to a second-hand building materials supplier.

Ink cartridges

Ask your current cartridge provider whether they have a recycling program. Alternatively, Cartridges 4 Planet Ark has printer cartridge recycling bins at Australia Post, Officeworks, Harvey Norman, The Good Guys, JB Hi-Fi and Office National stores. For more information, or for Northern Beaches businesses wanting free cartridges pick up, call Cartridges 4 Planet Ark hotline on 1800 24 24 73.

Junk Mail

Junk mail make up 6% of Australia’s total paper usage and only 20% of catalogues are ever read. Even though you can recycle junk mail in your blue lidded recycling bin it is better to avoid this waste.

Call the Distribution Standards Board (DSB) on 1800 676 136 for a No Advertising Material sticker to place on your letterbox or to report any junk mail which is littered, delivered in duplicate or delivered to a letterbox with a No Advertising material sticker on it.

To stop unsolicited mail that is addressed to a household resident, register with the Australian Direct Marketing Organisation.

Lawn mowers

Lawn mowers are accepted as a metal at Kimbriki free of charge. Conditions apply. Petrol and oil must be removed before disposal.  

They will not be collected if left out at a bulky goods clean up. Even if they are drained of fuel/oil the vapours can still cause a fire in the trucks.

Light globes, bulbs and fluorescent tubes

Accepted at Kimbriki Administration Office on Mondays to Fridays, between 8.30am and 5pm only. The administration office is located on the right hand side of the entry road. Free for Northern Beaches Council residents. Household quantities only.

They can also be dropped off an your next Household Chemical CleanOut collection.

Tubes and globes must be removed from packaging.

  • Linear fluorescent tubes (4ft only, no 5ft accepted)
  • U-shaped and coated fluorescents
  • high pressure mercury vapour lamps
  • high pressure sodium vapour lamps
  • metal halide lamps
  • ultraviolet lamps
  • projector lamps
  • compact fluorescent lamps
  • incandescent lamps and globes
  • neon tubing
  • heat lamps
  • halogen (dichroic) downlights

Note - Kimbriki will not accept broken tubes and globes. These should be wrapped in paper and disposed of in your red lidded garbage bin


Residents are encouraged to recycle mattresses instead of sending them to landfill. Mattresses are bulky and take up valuable landfill space. Various components can be recycled including metal springs and timber. If you are purchasing a new mattress ask whether mattress collection and recycling is part of their service. There are a number of retailers that offer this service either free or for a fee. If your retailer does not offer this, there a number of mattress recyclers that have a collection service. Services vary and fees apply.

You can take your mattress to Kimbriki where it will be partially recycled, fees apply. Alternatively, you can book a bulky goods clean up where it will be recycled for free at Kimbriki.


The RUM is a national, not-for-profit program which provides a convenient and environmentally responsible solution for the collection and disposal of unwanted medicines. Many pharmacies in northern Sydney act as collection points for unwanted and out-of-date medicines. Call RUM on 1300 650 835 or visit

Metal roofing

Up to three sheets of metal roofing – maximum size 1m x 5m is accepted in your bulky goods collection

For larger quantities take to Kimbriki for metal recycling, no fee

Microwave Ovens

Microwave ovens can be taken to Kimbriki free of charge.

Alternatively, leave your microwave in a separate pile with other metal goods when you book your next bulky goods clean up and it will be recycled.

Mobile phones and batteries

Upgrading your phone? If your old one is still in good working condition donate it to charity, sell or trade it in. A number of charities are requesting used mobile phones. Give now lists some of these charities. Some phone companies offer credit on your new phone if you trade an old one in. If your old phone cannot be reused, recycle it! Up to 90 per cent of the metal, minerals, plastic and glass in mobile phones can be recycled. This reduces greenhouse gas emissions and allows us to re-use scarce resources.

Mobile phones and accessories can be recycled through:

Needles and syringes disposal

Residents (not businesses) can dispose of needles and syringes at the following places;

  • Brookvale Community Health Centre, 612-624 Pittwater Rd (yellow sharp bin is outside behind the building). You can also go inside to participate in the needle exchange, Mon, Tues, Wed & Fri, 9am to 5pm. They will provide sharp containers or you can buy them from pharmacies
  • Mona Vale Hospital outside the ‘urgent care centre’ on Coronation St
  • Northern Beaches Hospital, 105 Frenchs Forest Road, outside emergency
  • Medclinic Family Practice, shop 1427A Westfield, Warringah Mall if in an approved sharps container
  • Belrose Chemist, shop 5 Glenrose village
  • Manly Drug Education & Counselling  Centre, 91 Pittwater Rd, Mon-Fri 9am – 5pm
  • Narrabeen Pharmacy, 67 Waterloo St, 9913 7171 participate in the needle exchange program only

If you find a needle in a public place contact the Needle Cleanup hotline pickup on 1800 633 353.


Office furniture

Sell your office furniture in local newspapers, trading post or online. The Bower Reuse and Repair Centre, may accept your donation. Call them first on 9658 6280 to check.

Oil - motor and cooking

Accepted at Household Chemical Cleanout Accepted at Belrose Suez, check their terms and conditions. Motor oil accepted at Kimbriki, check their terms and conditions.

Oil heaters (household)

Oil heaters (no need to drain) can be taken to the next Chemical CleanOut event

Oil heaters won’t be picked up at bulky goods collection due to the potential of oil being present and leaking when compacted which could end up on the road.


Residents and trade painters can drop-off their unwanted and unused paint for free at Kimbriki Resource Recovery Centre. Max limit of 100L of paint in containers no larger than 20L each (lids must be securely fixed). The total limit applies to the container size regardless of how full they are. Lead paint is not accepted. For terms and conditions and a list of accepted products please visit the Kimbriki website.

Small, dry and essentially empty paint tins can be placed in the yellow recycling bin.

NSW EPA runs free chemical collection days at various sites throughout the year. The collection accepts all household chemicals including paint. For more information call the Environment Line on 131 555 or visit Household Chemical CleanOut.

Paint can also be taken daily to Belrose Resource Recovery Centre. Combine your oil based paint and in another container combine your water based paint. Charges apply to container size, not the amount of paint in the container. Paint is charged per litre of container capacity. Water or oil based paint only. No thinners, solvents or paint related products. Water based paints and oil based paints must be kept separate. Phone 1300 651 116 for more information. Label all paint containers.


Direct Pallets specialise in the removal and recycling of waste pallets including all types and sizes at a reasonable cost. Alternatively sell your pallets via local papers, trading post or online. Refer to your local Yellow Pages for a list of pallet recyclers.


Clean paper, glossy magazines and shredded paper go in your blue recycling bin.

Staples can be left in your paper or cardboard boxes and the plastic window doesn't need to be removed from the window envelopes before adding to the blue bin.

Please flatten cardboard boxes and crumpled paper if you can.

Alternatively they may be taken to Kimbriki

No food, wax-coated cardboard or soiled paper. For these, please use your red or dark green garbage bin.

If you have a compost bin you can add small pieces and small amounts of food-soiled paper.

Pens and markers

Pen and marker recycling stations are now available in selected Officeworks stores -find a recycling store near you


Reverse Garbage in Marrickville may accept sheets of perspex. Call first to ensure that they are able to accept your donation on 9569 3132.


Photos can’t be recycled as they are plastic laminated. If you can’t find a use for them such as using them in arts and craft, put them in your red-lidded garbage bin.

Pizza Boxes

Cardboard is quite valuable so please tear off clean parts of the pizza box and recycle that part in your blue bin.

Cardboard soiled with oil and/or food cannot be recycled in your blue recycling bin. Add small pieces to your compost bin or place the excess in your red garbage bin.

Plastic bags and packaging

Place your bread, frozen food, rice and pasta bags, biscuit and confectionery packets, cereal box liners, plastic shopping bags and old green bags in the REDcycle bin at your local Coles or Woolworths supermarket. REDcycle will recycle them into outdoor furniture for primary schools and pre-schools. Boutique plastic bags can be given to charity shops.

Pots and pans

Donate to charity. Alternatively, if the pots and pans are essentially metal put in a separate pile with other metals for your bulky goods general clean up so they can go to metal recycling.

Printer cartridges

You can drop off your used or empty laser and inkjet cartridges at Officeworks and participating Australia Post, Harvey Norman, The Good Guys and JB Hi-Fi stores. Inkjet cartridges, toner cartridges and toner bottles are accepted.


Stainless steel razor blades can be added to a used stainless steel can with the lid still attached (adjust the lid so that the razors stay in the can) and place the can in your yellow-lidded recycling bin.

You can also try Terracycle which offers a free service for recycling any brand of used razor blades and their packaging

Sheets, towels, blankets

Most animal shelters and vets often need old blankets, bath towels, sheets, bathroom rugs and t-shirts.

Solar Panels

Solar panels contain some hazardous materials and best kept out of landfill. PV Industries can facilitate the collection and recycling of your solar panels, contact Timothy Dawson,  


Drop off your old glasses to Specsavers stores, where they will be passed onto Lions Club for their 'Recycle for Sight' program.

Sports shoes

Shoes For Planet Earth is a not-for-profit organisation that provides reused running shoes to those in need around the world. Local drop off point is Pace Athletic at 23 Sydney Road, Manly.


Televisions can be recycled for free at Kimbriki, Belrose Waste Recovery Centre and Harvey Norman Balgowlah. They accept up to 15 items (including computer and computer equipment) for free.


Donate timber (untreated) to a second-hand building materials supplier.

Toner cartridges

Empty laser, toner, inkjet cartridges and toner bottles can be dropped off at all Office Works and participating Australia Post, Harvey Norman, The Good Guys, JB Hi-Fi, Office National and Office Products Depot outlets. 

Tooth brushes and tooth paste tubes

Tooth brushes, tooth paste tubes , electric toothbrush heads and  dental floss cases can be recycled. 

TerraCycle can help to find the nearest drop-off location. Type in your postcode and then the waste you are wishing to recycle from the drop down menu.


Peninsula Senior Citizens Toy Recyclers fix used and unused toys and donates them to charities and organisations who help families doing it tough, both locally and overseas.

They take all kinds of soft and educational toys, books, dolls, games and bikes (up to 20" wheel size). Please NO battery operated toys. Toys must be repairable.

Drop-off locations:


Car tyres only are accepted at Kimbriki, fees apply.  If rims are separated from the tyre the rims can be disposed of as metal free of charge.

Vegetation Excess

Residents can drop off excess vegetation generated at home at Kimbriki. 

Northern Beaches Council will pay Kimbriki the advertised fee for this service under the following restrictions:

  • Vehicles are limited to cars, station wagons, utes, family vans or trailers with up to 300kg of vegetation.
  • Proof of residency, ie Northern Beaches Council sticker, driver's licence or rates notice is required.
  • No trucks or other vehicles are allowed. However arrangements can be put in place to register a trade vehicle for a resident's own occasional use. Please see Kimbriki reception for details.
  • Vehicles are entitled to one vegetation drop-off on any given day. If your load is over 300kg you must pay the full amount not just the portion you are over. We understand you don't weigh your vegetation when loading so some leeway will be given for loads close to 300kg. The NSW EPA requires that all waste entering Kimbriki must be accurately accounted for. Dividing weighbridge transactions once completed adds complexity, time and cost and consequently is prohibitive and cannot be accommodated.


Donate to a second-hand building materials supplier. Sell in local papers, trading post or online.


X-ray films contain silver in the form of halides, which can be extracted and converted into pure silver.

You can drop off your x-rays at our customer Service offices in Dee Why, Manly and Mona Vale or the libraries at Warringah Mall, Glen St and Forestville.

The x-rays are sent to Victoria where the silver is extracted and converted into pure silver and the residue is used in road base.

Zip lock bags

Consider reducing use of zip lock bags and reuse where possible. All soft plastics (that can be scrunched up into a ball) can be recycled through specialised REDcycle collection containers at Woolworths and Coles supermarkets.