IMPORTANT: In response to COVID-19, Development Assessment services are continuing to be provided via email, on the phone on 1300 434 434 or via teleconference. We encourage you to lodge your application via the NSW Planning Portal.
Planning Rules relaxed for construction hours
The property and construction industry accounts for almost 400,000 jobs and 10% of the NSW economy. In order to keep work sites and jobs flowing during COVID-19, the State Government has made a Direction that standard construction hours can been extended to include weekends and public holidays. During these extended hours such works cannot include rock breaking, rock hammering, pile driving or similar activities.
For further information please visit NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment
Decisions about development on the Northern Beaches are influenced by state and local planning legislation, strategies, controls and policies designed to address a variety of specific planning issues.
There are a number of different rules and regulations depending on where you live and where you want to build. The majority of these are outlined in the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, the State Environmental Planning Policies (SEPPs), the Local Environmental Plans (LEPs) and the Development Control Plans (DCPs).
There are also a number of maps, plans and policies designed to address specific issues like medium density housing in our shopping centres, heritage and hazard affected areas. Links to these documents and tools can be found below.
- Northern Beaches Council Mapping
- Northern Beaches Council Policies
- Northern Beaches Community Participation Plan
Links to LEPs & DCPs
- Warringah LEP 2011
- Warringah LEP 2000 – applies to land known as ‘deferred matter’. The Warringah Local Environmental Plan (WLEP 2000) was replaced by WLEP 2011 on 9 December 2011. However, certain parts of Warringah have been ‘deferred’ by the State Government and are not covered by the current WLEP 2011.
- Warringah DCP 2011 – contains planning controls not included in LEP 2011. The documents should be read together.
- Warringah DCP 2000