The Northern Beaches is fortunate in having many areas of natural beauty. Council partners with local residents to preserve and maintain these areas through our Bushcare program. Bushcare involves removing weeds and encouraging regeneration of native plants.
Bushcare is all about community volunteers working with Council to conserve and rehabilitate publicly owned natural bushland. There are over 450 volunteers who work at over 50 different sites throughout the Northern Beaches.
- Dunecare – revegetating and restoring our dune systems
- Creekcare – caring for and cleaning up our creeks
- Lagooncare – limiting litter and creating healthy lagoons
- Forestcare – promoting diversity, canopy and habitat for native animals and insects
- Wetlandcare – protecting vital habitat and healthy waterways
Bushcare groups work at set times through the year, for two or three hours each month.
No experience is needed. We have activities to suit all levels of participation.
Tools, training and guidance in bush regeneration techniques, and morning or afternoon tea are provided!
Bushcare Site Map
View an interactive map of all our sites on the Northern Beaches
Become a Bushcare Volunteer
- Check out the site map and select a preferred site.
- Join the Northern Beaches Council Bushcare Group on our Volunteer Platform - Be Collective - Join Here
- You can select the opportunity that is right for you and we will get in contact with you to book you into one of our regular Bushcare sessions.
- Complete an onsite induction with one of our qualified supervisors.
- Start your first volunteer shift.
Our Community Nursery Program enlists the help of dedicated volunteers who propagate thousands of indigenous plants (including rare species) each year. These plants can then be used by Bushcare volunteers or by Council as part of our ongoing works program.
- Manly Dam Community Nursery - Every Friday morning from 8.30am to 12.30pm
- North Curl Curl Community Nursery - Every Monday from 9am to 12pm
Receive our Bushcare Update
Our newsletter provides up-to-date information for our Bushcare volunteers who work over 50 different sites across the Northern Beaches.
Contact the Bushcare Team: email@example.com